Is Your Car Ready for a Summer Vacation?
More people are changing their plans to travel by car rather than by plane this summer.
More Newsletter Stories For You...
If you are planning a road trip this summer, it's important to remember that you shouldn't just put gas in your car and go. A pre-trip vehicle check can determine how road ready your vehicle is so you can take steps to have any problems fixed before heading out for vacation.
Before you hit the road, conduct a vehicle inspection to help avoid the inconvenience and potential safety hazards of breaking down miles away from home.
- Schedule a tune up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy, and produce the lowest level of emissions.
- Check the brake system and make sure the battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
- Check filters and fluids, including engine oil, antifreeze/coolant, windshield washer, power steering, brake, and transmission fluids. Dirty air filters can waste gas and cause the engine to lose power.
- Check the hoses and belts and replace them if they become cracked, brittle, frayed, or loose, or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and cooling system.
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Underinflated tires reduce a vehicle's fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check that the gas cap is not damaged, loose or missing to prevent gas from spilling or evaporating.
If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please give us a call at (904) 264-2442 or to schedule online, please click here